Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chelsea Galleries Reaction


When choosing a work of art I would want to collect, I tried to look at it as an investment and something that I would enjoy.  I looked for a work of art that seemed to me like it could be timeless, something that was not too trendy that would retain value.  To do this I tried to figure out the historical identity and the cultural identity of the art and how those respective identities fit into the world moving forward in time.  I believe art that has a high level of historic and cultural value has a better chance of retaining value.  For the art that I would want to collect, I chose works from the exhibit by Charles Freger entitled "Wilder Mann".  This exhibit contains portraits of people dressed in fantastical and primal costume.  They dress up in these costumes for different festivals throughout parts of Europe.  These works of art have a very strong cultural and historical identity.  The have influences from pagan traditions and Christian traditions of the past.  I think these aspects will give Freger’s work more value moving forward into the future.  As the forces of globalization continue to generate a more singular, monotonous culture worldwide, art like this with its historical and culture value will become more valuable; especially if the festivals where these costumes are worn begin to dwindle in number and significance.  I also really like this art.  I love the monstrous, shamanic costumes.  They strike in me fear and curiosity.  

On the other hand, for art which I would not buy as a collector, I chose work from the British artist Richard Hughes.  To me, this art does not have as valuable a historical and cultural perspective.  The cultural perspective of this art is very modern.  The pieces of art are made up of industrial material such as concrete or plastic.  This art seems to almost be factory made.  The historical perspective is very much rooted in the present, which, in my mind, will not add to its value moving forward.  The industrial nature of our global culture is growing, so, while Richard Hughes' art may remain relevant moving forward, I do not see it growing in value as much as the work by Charles Freger.  Another reason that i would not by Hughes' art as a collector is that the work is large and heavy and would be difficult to store and would be expensive.  





No comments:

Post a Comment