Friday, April 19, 2013

LIB 110 Picasso Imitation Project


For my Picasso imitation, I tried to try to recreate one of his drawings.  This was because I enjoyed the drawings by him done in pencil, and because pencil and paper were what I had at my immediate disposal.  The drawings of his which I enjoyed generally had a central subject like a person or an animal.  I found a lot of his drawings to be simple yet still abstract.  In these drawings, Picasso utilized simple contour lines and limited hatching and shading.  Because of these features, the drawings generally appeared very flat.  My drawing also uses simple contour lines and limited hatching.  I noticed in some of Picasso’s drawings he would establish a focal point by using bolder lines, and hatching and shading in a condensed area and then using thinner lines on the periphery of this area.  I used this technique in my drawing.  The focal point is meant to be the eyes and nose.  That is where I used the boldest lines and where I employed hatching and cross hatching.  The other parts of the subject surrounding the focal point, like the neck and ear, are done with thinner lines.   

Some of Picasso’s drawings seemed to have a sense of incompleteness.  There would be lines that did not connect or anatomical features, such as an eye or nose, which were missing.  It almost seems as though a full and complete drawing of the subject was on the paper in invisible ink and Picasso merely sketched a rough outline over the invisible form which only he could see.  In my drawing, the man only has one ear and I decided to completely omit the mouth. 




No comments:

Post a Comment